Gaming keyboards come in all shapes and sizes, but the one thing they all have in common is that they use mechanical switches. Membrane keyboards, on the other hand, use rubber domes to register key presses. So are membrane keyboards good for gaming? We asked the pros to find out!
Are Membrane Keyboards Good For Gaming?
Membrane keyboards have been around for some time, and they are becoming increasingly popular among gamers. The main reason for this is because of their cost-effectiveness. They offer a more economical option than more expensive mechanical gaming keyboards without sacrificing performance or quality. However, there is still debate about whether membrane keyboards are actually suitable for gaming or not.
What Are Membrane Keyboards, And How Do They Work?
Membrane keyboards are a type of keyboard with a special design that allows for more comfortable typing and gaming. They feature rubber dome-shaped keys that provide tactile feedback rather than the traditional key switch used in mechanical keyboards. The rubber domes collapse when pressed, completing an electrical circuit between the two metal plates that make up the membrane sheet. This causes the keyboard to register a keystroke and send a signal to the computer.
How To Choose The Best Membrane Keyboard For Your Needs?
- Consider your budget – how much you’re willing to spend will be a major determining factor in which keyboard you choose.
- Think about your typing style – do you prefer soft, responsive keys? Or a stiffer feel?
- Check the key layout and number of keys available – if you’re mainly gaming, then the more specific gaming keyboards can give you access to additional macros and functions that may be useful.
- Decide what type of backlighting you need – most keyboards offer LED lighting, but there are also mechanical keyboards with RGB lighting if you prefer more vibrant colors.
- Look at the durability and lifespan of the board – some are designed to last longer than others, so make sure to check the manufacturer’s specs.
- Consider the size and weight of the keyboard – some are designed to be slim and lightweight, while others are larger and heavier.
- Ensure compatibility with your device or system – most membrane keyboards will work with Windows and Mac, but always double-check before buying.
- Check for additional features such as USB pass-through, volume control, etc.
- Check customer reviews and ratings to get an indication of how the keyboard performs in real-world use.
- Consider any additional accessories, such as a mouse or wrist rest, that may be included with the keyboard purchase.
The Benefits Of Membrane Keyboards For Gaming
- Quicker response time than mechanical keyboards.
- Less noise than regular keyboards because the rubber domes absorb sound when pressed.
- Excellent tactile feedback, thanks to the soft and rubbery keys, making it easier to type or game for extended periods of time without fatigue.
- Multiple-layer design for increased durability and water resistance.
- Low price compared to mechanical keyboards, making them ideal for budget-minded gamers.
- Easier to clean than mechanical keyboards due to the flat and fewer keys.
- The rubber dome offers a degree of shock absorption when typing or gaming quickly and vigorously.
- The smaller overall size makes it easier to carry around.
- Compatible with most operating systems and devices, eliminating the need for additional software or drivers.
- The keys are designed for a longer life span compared to mechanical keyboards.
Membrane keyboards are an excellent choice for gamers who need a comfortable, responsive keyboard without breaking the bank. With their low price tag, tactile feedback, and quick response time, they can be a great alternative to more expensive mechanical keyboards. However, it’s important to consider all factors before making your purchase – from budget to typing style, size, and features – so you can make sure you’re getting the best membrane keyboard for your needs.