Let’s get straight to the point— can a battery that is completely dead be recharged? Well, this may seem like a weird question, but you will be surprised to know that there are many people who have asked themselves this question before. In most cases, people usually think of a battery as something that has either lost its charge or is about to lose it soon. The last time you checked, did you even consider if it is possible for a battery to become completely drained? Now that you think about it, why should it not be possible? After all, batteries store electrical energy and they can discharge it as well as charge it again. Therefore, it must be possible for them to completely discharge their charge and reach zero volts – which means zero volts! That being said, let us take a closer look at the answer to this strange but common question – can a dead battery be recharged?
Can A Completely Dead Battery Be Recharged?
No, a completely dead battery cannot be recharged. A dead battery is one that has zero electrical potential and is therefore incapable of generating any power. It can only be replaced with a fully charged battery. A battery can be recharged by applying electric current (charge) to the terminals through a charger or by applying a generator to the terminals.
Why Can A Completely Dead Battery Not Be Recharged?
A Lithium-ion battery is the most commonly used rechargeable battery in laptops and smartphones. It uses an intercalation process to move lithium ions between the anode and cathode to store and release energy. The electrolyte in a battery is a solution of water and dissolved salts, like sodium chloride (table salt). The negative electrode is inside a porous material (made of carbon) that is electrically conductive. The positive electrode is made of porous material that can hold ions dissolved in the electrolyte. The positive and negative electrodes meet each other in the electrolyte. At the positive electrode, electrons break loose from the electrode and move into the electrolyte. At the negative electrode, electrons are pulled out of the electrolyte and into the electrode.
Constantly charging and discharge is bad for your battery
The battery is made of chemical that reacts with electrolyte. The reaction cannot be stopped, and the reaction will reduce the capacity of the battery. The more you charge and discharge, the more capacity is reduced. If you charge the battery frequently, the capacity will drop. If you discharge the battery frequently, the capacity will drop. So, you have to charge the battery frequently, then discharge it frequently. If you charge and discharge frequently, the time will come when the battery capacity gets reduced to a level that it cannot be recharged again.
It’s possible the battery has been\may be damaged
If your battery has been drained completely, you may damage your battery. There is a chance your battery gets over-discharged to a point that the chemicals inside the battery are damaged. If the chemicals inside the battery are broken, you cannot recharge the battery again. The damage is permanent. You cannot take it to the service center because there is no service center for a damaged battery.
Battery capacity might be too small to recharge
Even if your battery chemicals are not damaged, there is a chance your battery capacity is too low for recharging. Some laptops use a battery with a lithium-ion phosphate battery. The battery capacity is very low. If you completely drain the lithium-ion phosphate battery, you cannot recharge it again. The same thing happens with other batteries when the capacity is too low.
Battery contacts may be dirty or broken
If the battery contacts are dirty or broken, your laptop cannot charge with a charging cable. If both contacts are dirty, your laptop may charge the battery with a charging cable but the laptop cannot charge the battery again. The contacts inside your laptop and the contacts inside your battery must touch each other. If they are not touching, your laptop cannot charge the battery again.
The battery may be completely dead
If you have charged your battery but it is not getting charged even after 24 hours, there is a chance that your battery is completely dead. If your battery is completely dead, you cannot recharge it again. You will have to buy a new battery.
How To Charge A Completely Dead Battery?
- First of all, you will have to find out if the battery is completely dead or not. If it is, then it will be hard to charge it. In case your battery is completely dead, then you will have to buy a new one.
- In order for your car’s battery to work properly and keep on holding a charge, you will have to charge the battery properly. The most important thing that you should do is not overcharging the battery as this can damage it and cause other problems in your car as well.
- You can use a trickle charger for charging the battery even if your car’s engine is running so that you can use the car in case of an emergency situation or when you are short of time and need to get somewhere quickly. However, this method won’t be good enough for charging a dead battery as the charging current will be too low for recharging the battery fast enough.
- There are some special chargers that can be used for recharging a dead battery. If your car’s battery is completely dead, then you can use these chargers to charge the battery and get it back to life. However, you will have to be careful about using these chargers as they are quite powerful and can damage your car if not used properly.
- You can also use a jump starter or jump-starting equipment to charge your car if your vehicle has a dead battery. This is one of the safest methods that you can use as the jump-starting equipment will only create power in the engine and not in the battery itself.
- In case of a completely dead battery and no other way of charging it, you can try using an old power inverter or generator in order to charge it up again but this method won’t be effective enough for charging a completely dead battery as the voltage will be too low for recharging it fast enough.
- You can also try using a car battery charger but you should know that it will only be able to charge the car battery, not the dead one as this will cause damage to your vehicle’s electrical system.
- You can also use an external power source to charge your dead battery by connecting it with a cable and then connecting it with the positive pole of your car’s battery but you should know that this method won’t be effective enough for charging a completely dead battery as the voltage will be too low for recharging it fast enough.
A completely dead battery can be recharged but it will take a long time. In order to charge a completely dead battery, you must use a trickle charger. Since there is no voltage inside a completely dead battery, it cannot be charged until the voltage inside the battery is restored. With that said, if you want to know if a completely dead battery can be recharged, you must use a trickle charger to charge it.
What is a trickle charger?
A trickle charger is a device that charges batteries using a current that is too low to fully charge the battery. The trick here is the current that is being used by the device to charge the battery. The current used in a trickle charger can be as small as 0.1 milliamp (mA). This means it cannot fully charge an empty battery but it can bring back some of its power and extend its life.
Why do I need a trickle charger?
Most of us are not aware that our batteries are completely dead until they completely lose their power and become completely useless such as when we forget to charge our batteries or use them for too long without charging them properly or when we ignore our electronic devices’ warnings about running out of power and keep on using them anyway even though we know they have no juice left inside them at all. When this happens, we have no choice but to purchase new batteries to replace the dead ones or buy a new device.
How long does it take for a completely dead battery to be recharged?
It could take from weeks to months depending on the type of battery used and how often they are used and whether they have been recently charged or not at all in some cases or if they have been recently discharged either intentionally or by accident. If you have never charged them before, then this process could take much longer than usual as they take longer time in recovering their power after the quality of the battery. The faster your battery is charged, the more your battery will lose its charge and therefore, the longer it will take to completely recharge it.